- All entries must be reflect the theme; I am special, so are you!
- Central Idea: Similarities and differences exist between all people making them unique. How can you show this in a short story, poem, lyrical ballad, 1 minute video, music or visual art piece?
- All current José de Diego students are eligible to submit.
- One finalist from each category per class will be selected. Students may submit for more than one category.
- All entries must be 100% student created; parents are encouraged to supervise only.
- All 6th - 8th grade entries must be submitted online.
- All Entries will be scored using a rubric.
- In the event of a tie, the homeroom teacher will select the class winner.
- Entries must be submitted by June 17th, 2016; homeroom teachers reserve the right to select an earlier due date.
- The word count for kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- 6th through 8th grade must submit theirs electronically, using 12-point type and stories must be double-spaced. Maximum 1,000 words.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
- Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
- Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages. be a minimum of 500 words.
- Kindergarten through 5th grade may handwrite their stories.
POETRY- Entries may be an acrostic, ballad, free verses, song, rap and/or sonnet.
VISUAL ART- Must be original and student created. May be a photograph, drawing or painting or combination. May be digital or no larger than 24 by 24 inches.
1 MINUTE VIDEO- Videos may contain video clips, pictures and music, but not be longer than 60 seconds. You must obtain a signed waiver for anyone appearing in the video. Videos cannot contain any illegal acts, acts of violence or gang related items.